Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Despicable me

Intro:  So during Christmas I saw this movie for the first time, And laughed so hard the whole time. In fact I loved it so much that I bought a copy myself.

But I begin to think about the words Despicable me..... and the first thing that came to mind was the Apostle Paul in the bible.

Read: Romans 7:24  What a wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?



Despicable Definition- deserving to be despised : so worthless.

Now with that in mind, if Paul (who wrote the majority of the new testament and died for his faith in Christ, Who gives the first churches instruction and guidance through God.) If he says this about himself then what does that mean for us? 
Are you good? How do you measure good? Does it take being a "good person" to go to heaven? How good do you have to be? 

The biggest question that I will be presenting during the message on Despicable me is; Why do we want sin? 

Think: I have asked so many people and seen so many online polls that ask people weather they are going to heaven or hell? The answer doesn't surprise me anymore. #1. The majority will say yes they are. And when asked why the response is because they are a "good person". #2. The majority of people polled will say they are going to heaven without considering how or why? 
I though I might share one of these polls with you in this case and point; 


What is the key to getting into heaven?

  • Living a good life. 65.5%
  • being religious.  26.7%
  • Helping old ladies cross the street. 2.7%
  • Slipping St. Peter $20.00 at heavens gates. 1.9%
  • Having a strong letter of reference. 0.5%
  • Making a deal with the devil. 1.2%
Total votes 121,836

Are you going to heaven?

  • Yes. 89.8%
  • No. 10.2%
Total votes 143,309
(Source: www.aol.com)
Notice how many more people responded to the second question (are you going to heaven?) as opposed to the first? 21,473 more folks opted to answer that simple question as opposed to taking time to think about the first one. Apparently, nearly 9 out of 10 people believe they are going to heaven, but many of them don't know and/or don't care why. But I want you to consider what God's word says about this topic.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)
God saved you by his special favor when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5)
There is salvation in no one else! There is no other name in all of heaven for people to call on to save them. (Acts 4:12)
But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars--their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death. (Revelation 21:8)





No comments:

Post a Comment